Sunday, December 14, 2008

1991 Classic Four Sport, Bobby Jones



#82 Bobby Jones

Here is another autograph that I got through the mail right after he was called up. I probably got this in 1993 or maybe even 1994. Bobby pitched for ten years in the Majors, eight with the Mets and two with the Padres. In his first full year in the big leagues ('94), he went 12-7 with a 3.15 ERA. In '97 he was 15-9 with a 3.63 ERA and he made his only All-Star appearance. Then in '99 and 2000, he had ERAs that were over 5 and the Mets let him walk via free agency. The Padres picked up his services for $625,000 and he went 8-19 that season. Some how, the Padres brought him back the next year for $4 million. I didn't realize that 19 game losers were entitled to 300% raises. He made 19 appearances that year and went 7-8 with a 5.50 ERA and he was done.

This card came from the first ever set of Classic Four Sport. The set included nothing but draft picks from the four major sports. I liked the look of them, even though they had some thick borders. At least they allowed the player's photo to overlap the border. This is the only card from the set that I have signed, but I hope to get one of the hockey cards signed by March.

Also, I added a couple of players to my want list.

No comments: