Tuesday, December 23, 2008

1991 Line Drive, Pat Listach



#191 Pat Listach

I got this card signed through the mail in either 1992 or 1993. Pat was the AL Rookie of the Year winner in 1992 as a Brewer. That was the highlight of his career. Only three other American League rookies recieved any votes for the award (compared to eleven in the NL) and they were Kenny Lofton, Dave Fleming and Cal Eldred. Comparing the stats of Lofton and Listach, it would be hard for me to pick a winner. Their numbers are very similar. Listach had the edge in average, hits and RBI, but Lofton had more runs, homers, walks, stolen bases (66 to 54), OBP, SLG, and he had less strikeouts. Plus Fleming won 17 games for he Mariners and Eldred was 11-2 with a 1.79 ERA. It's funny how these things work out (like Mike Aviles finishing behind Jacoby Ellsbury in the balloting this year).

Unfortunately for Listach, that was the beginning of the end for him. He only stole 68 more bases over the next five seasons. He missed most of 1994 due to what I would presume to be an injury. After he hit .290 in his rookie campaign, he never again hit over .250 in a season in which he played more than 16 games. In 1996, he was traded to the Yankees, but he never played a game with them. After that season, he was released and he signed on with the Astros. After 52 disappointing games with the 'Stros, he was let go. He was signed by a couple of different clubs after that, but he never made it back to the Majors. He retired after the 1998 season.

Pat was the manager for the Iowa Cubs last season. This coming season, he'll be the third base coach for the Nationals.

This card shows Pat as an El Paso Diablo. The Diablos were the AA affiliate of the Brewers and they were member of the Texas League. Today, the Diablos operate as an independent team in the American Association.

Also, I got a few cards from my want list from Kris of Cards in the Attic. If you have never visited his site, check it out. He's a big fan of the Albuquerque Isotopes, minor league baseball, and autographs. He sent me three Doug Waechter cards that I didn't have. After these and the Waechter cards that Night Owl sent me, I'll probably be taking him off of my want list. And Kris, I'm running a little behind this week, but I'll send some cards your way sometime next week. Thanks again.

No comments: