Friday, January 22, 2010

1999 Upper Deck MVP, Carlos Hernandez



#182 Carlos Hernandez

Here is a card of former backup catcher, Carlos Herndandez. Carlos had a ten-year career with the Dodgers, Padres, and Cardinals. He spent most of that time as the Dodgers backup. But, in 1998, he was the Padres primary catcher.

That year, he played in 129 games and hit a respectable .262 with 9 homers and 52 RBI. He even started all four games of the World Series. But, for some reason, he ended up missing all of 1999. He was back with the Padres in 2000. But they traded him to St. Louis at the trade deadline. According to Baseball Almanac, Carlos hit a home run in the NLDS for the Cards that fall. But, Baseball Reference says he didn't. My money is on Baseball Reference.

I'll always remember Carlos as a Dodger. When I was a youngster, I sent a TTM request to Orel Hershiser. Orel didn't sign my card, but he included all sorts of goodies like pocket schedules, stickers, and the Dodger newsletter. He also sent me a small 8x10 poster of the Dodger roster and Carlos was on it. I had that little poster on my wall for years.

I guess I forgot to mention it earlier, but this card was sent to me by Rod, of Padrographs.

For some reason, this autograph and the one used on Carlos' Baseball Almanac page are not the same.

No comments: