Saturday, January 2, 2010

1999 Donrus Signature Series, Bruce Chen



#120 Bruce Chen

Here is a card signed by journeyman pitcher, Bruce Chen. By journeyman, I am talking about pitching for ten different clubs in an eleven year Major League career. Bruce has pitched for the Braves, Phillies, Mets, Expos, Reds, Astros, Red Sox, Orioles, Rangers, and Royals. Bruce decided to test the free agent market this year and there must not have been much of a market for him since he signed a minor league deal with the Royals, the team he played for last year.

I got this card signed in June while attending an Omaha Royals/Iowa Cubs game in Des Moines. In the second game of the double header, Bruce pitched a seven inning shutout while only giving up two hits. He signed this card for me outside of the ballpark after the game. He seemed like a good signer because he signed for everyone. I thought that that was pretty cool since his wife and kids were in town and they were having to wait for him to do all of the signing. You don't see many players put the fans before their family. He only signed two out of the three cards I had, but in that situation, I thought I was lucky just to get one.

I bought this card for cheap at checkoutmycards.com and it is the only card from the set that I own. I have no idea if actual autographs came out of these packs or not. Based on the name of the set, I would hope that there would be quite a few.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw Chen signing a bunch of autographs on the way into Shea Stadium a few years back when he was an Oriole... unfortunately, I didn't have anything for him to sign that day. He seemed like a fan-friendly guy, though.

Play at the Plate said...

His sig is actually pretty good. The first name at least.