Tuesday, January 26, 2010

1975 Topps, Dusty Baker



#33 Dusty Baker

If you saw my last post, you might have noticed this card on there. Obviously, this card was not obtained at Royals Fanfest. This signature was acquired through the mail about two weeks ago. I had sent this card to Dusty during Spring Training last year and, judging by some other blog entries, he is now getting around to signing all that stuff. Better late than never.

Dusty spent most of his career with the Dodgers and Braves. But when I think of him as a player, I almost always think of him as an Athletic. That is because when I was growing up, I had two cards of him and they both showed him as an A. I have a few more cards of him as a Dodger now, so he is slowing becoming a Dodger in my mind.

Since Dusty is a Brave on this card, here is a little tid-bit about his Braves days. I heard this somewhere and if I am wrong, please correct me. Dusty Baker was on deck when Hank Aaron hit his 715th home run (the one that broke Babe's record).

I wish I knew what Dusty was thinking when this photo was taken. I can't tell if he has a "I know something you don't know" look or if he is trying not to laugh. Maybe the cameraman has a big bubble on his hat and it is both guesses.

2 comments:

night owl said...

That is correct, Dusty was on deck when Aaron hit No. 715.

That's funny you think of him as an A. I have no memory of him with the A's.

zman40 said...

It's just that I started collecting cards in '85 and didn't get a card of him until '86. That's the only reason I think the way I do.