Wednesday, January 20, 2010

1999 Ultra, Tony Womack



#111 Tony Womack

If I am not mistaken, this is the last autograph I have to post from the Collective Troll. The seventeen card well is now officially dry and I enjoyed each and every one of them. Thanks Marck! I'll always keep you in mind when I come across a current or former Rays player whose autograph you still need.

As for Tony, he spent thirtteen years in the Majors with the Pirates, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Cubs, Cardinals, Yankees, and Reds, just like yesterdays Tony who played for seven teams in thirteen seasons. The main difference between the two is that I only saw this Tony play seven times (compared to 14 for the other Tony) and he only hit .138 in those games (compared to the other Tony's .408). So, while Tony Graffanino needed me at the ballpark as much as possible, Tony Womack needed me to stay home on gamedays.

Tony Womack started all seven games at shortstop in the 2001 World Series for the champion D-Backs.

When I looked at the giant scan of this card, I thought that I was looking at Chico Lind. The glasses must have thrown me off.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it just me, or do a large portion of Tony Womack's cards feature mid-air photos?

That's a cool shot and a nice autograph.

zman40 said...

I have no idea. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any other Womack cards.

Orioles Magic said...

I've always liked double-play type cards signed. Very cool autograph Zach!