Friday, May 7, 2010

2002 Upper Deck 40 Man, Alan Embree



#846 Alan Embree

Here is the final 2002 card. Tomorrow, I hope to start recapping all of the older cards that I have got signed since I started on the '02s. I have work and a Wingnuts game tomorrow, but I hope to get something up late at night after the game.

This card is a Padrograph of Alan Embree. It was sent to me about a year and a half ago and this whole time, I never realized that Alan is still an active player until yesterday. I was looking at his career stats and was shocked to see that he pitched for the Rockies last year. Then, while I was checking out MLB Trade Rumors, I noticed that the Red Sox released Alan recently. He was pitching for their AAA team and I guess he had a clause in his contract that entitled him to his release if he wasn't called up by a certain date. So, Alan is now an unrestricted free agent. Maybe the Royals will give him a shot.

I think one of the reasons that I thought Alan wasn't playing any more is because I haven't seen a card of him for a few years. That was one of the neat things about Topps Total and UD 40 Man; you would get cards of all of the relief pitchers and bench players. Why both companies steered away from this concept is a mystery to me. That would be the one set that I would be interested in today.

Speaking of Padrographs, I got an awesome package from Rod yesterday. I will try to post some of its contents tonight after I get home from the K-State/Texas game. GO CATS!

No comments: