Sunday, December 27, 2009

1998 Topps, Kevin Brown



#6 Kevin Brown

Here is a card of the six-time All Star, Kevin Brown. I got this card signed through the mail, most likely in 1998. This was either the last or next to last ttm return that I had for about seven years (Sandy Alomar Jr. was the other one).

Looking back, I am kind of surprised that I got this card returned and signed. At the time, Kevin was one of the premeir pitchers in the game. From 1996-1999, Kevin was 69-35 with a 2.51 ERA. During that time, he never threw less than 233 innings or had an ERA over 3.00. Plus, he struck out over 200 batters in three out of the four years.

For his career, Kevin had 211 wins with a 3.28 ERA and 2.397 strikouts. He played for the Rangers, Orioles, Marlins, Padres, Dodgers, and Yankees. He made six All Star teams, pitched in two World Series, and was a Wolrd Champion with the 1997 Florida Marlins.

Unfortunately, all of his highlights may ultimately be overshadowed by a couple of negatives. In 1998, he signed a 7 year/105 million dollar contract with the Dodgers, only to have three healthy seasons with them. Then, at the end of 2007, his name came up in the Mitchell Report.

It will be interesting to see how Kevin Brown is remembered twenty years from now.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My guess is that Brown won't really be remembered at all, except by the diehard fans of the teams he played for.

zman40 said...

You just may turn out to be right.

hassers said...

you are a brave man-- i never wanted to risk losing any card in the mail-- signed or not, so i never sent any for an autograph...

'30-Year Old Cardboard said...

He was fun to warch, that's for sure!!! Especially during his days with the Marlins.

Play at the Plate said...

I couldn't stand Kevin Brown when he was a Ranger. Just couldn't.

zman40 said...

Why is that, Brian?

Play at the Plate said...

Hey Z, I sort of mentioned this in my blog, but when Brown was here I always got the impression he was a clubouse problem. I saw he's HOF eligible next year, what do you think?

zman40 said...

For the Hall, I would guess 7-10 votes.