Monday, April 4, 2011

2005 Bowman, Chase Headley



#BDP119 Chase Headley

Here is the fifth and final 2005 Bowman Padrograph. It is also the last card from the 2005 Bowman set. Also, this is the card that was won by the Night Owl on Opening Day, so it will only be in my collection for a few more days.

Chase was drafted by the Padres in the second round of the 2005 draft, out of Tennessee. He was fast-tracked to the Major Leagues and he made his debut in June of 2007. He only played in eight games for the Padres that year, but at least he got a taste of things to come.

He split 2008 between the Majors and AAA, but by 2009, San Diego was his home for good. Over the last two seasons, Chase has averaged about 159 games played with a batting average of .263. He had 31 doubles, 12 home runs, and 64 RBI in 2009, but those numbers slipped to 29, 11, and 58 in 2010. Still, that is not bad for a 26-year old.

So far this season, Chase is 3-12 with a homer and 4 RBI in just three games.

I didn't notice it until I looked at the scan of this card, but Chase is wearing white pants that have pinstripes on them. Since the Padres haven't sported pinstripes since 2001, I am going to guess that this photo was taken while Chase was playing for the Eugene Emeralds.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

Hey, just found your blog! Bummed I was late on the CWS contest. I went to Cal State Fullerton for a year before transferring, but I always pick them to win. Just thought I'd let you know that I made a trade with Night Owl for a whole bunch of Dodgers, and he sent me THIS CARD! Glad to know it's genealogy. I'm pretty sure this has found a permanent home.