Monday, April 11, 2011

2005 Carolina-California All Star Choice, Mario Delgado



#9 Mario Delgado

Here is a cool card that I got signed at a Wichita Winguts game last season. Mario was a member of the 'Nuts most of last season and I was able to get this card signed just prior to a game last July. A special thanks goes out to Ryan, from The Great Orioles Autograph Project, who just happened to have this card in his collection and was nice enough to send it my way.

Mario was drafted by the Phillies in the 14th round of the 2001 draft. He spent just two years in the Phillies system before having to find work in the independent leagues. He caught on with Schaumburg of the Northern League and he played there for two seasons before getting picked up by the Orioles. He then spent two seasons in the Orioles system (and was a Carolina League All Star) before heading back to the independent circuits.

In 2007, he played with Kansas City of the Northern League before splitting 2008 between Lincoln of the American Association and Sussex of the Can-Am League. I actually saw Lincoln play that year and now that I think of it, I remember Mario. He did not play in 2009, but he resurfaced with the 'Nuts last season. He played in 68 games with them and hit .288 with 11 home runs before he got released when the Mexican League's season ended. He then moved on to Schaumburg for a second stint.

Mario was a bit of a fan-favorite in Wichita last year because of his body type. To put it nicely, he was the Latino equivalent to Mo Vaughn. Mario is a big dude. It was sad to see the 'Nuts let him go just so they could pad their roster with some Mexican League castoffs. But, that is baseball.

Thanks again, Ryan!.

I believe that this is the first card that I have posted of the Frederick Keys. The Keys are still the Carolina League affiliate to the Orioles.

1 comment:

Orioles Magic said...

You know how I feel, cards always look better signed, so I'm happy to help out.