Saturday, November 30, 2013

1984 Fleer, Gary Ward


#576 Gary Ward

Here is the first of three cards that Gary Ward signed for me during Spring Training this past spring. The day I got the cards signed was when I went to see the White Sox play a home game at Camelback Ranch. I got to the game really early to get autographs at the practice fields and found out that the Major Leaguers were not practicing that day. So, we headed off to the minor league fields and got there right as the scrimmages were starting. None of the coaches had names on their jerseys, and there weren't any 'graphers there, so I was having a heck of a time identifying the coaches. Finally, I checked the Birmingham Barons website and found a picture of Gary and was able to ID him that way. I asked him to sign my cards, but he said he was busy with the scrimmage. Luckily, I got him afterwards when all of the guys were heading into the clubhouse.

My search feature on this blog is not working for me right now, but I know that I have posted at least two cards from Gary on here previously. Here is his '81 Donruss card and here is his '86 Diamond King card. Both of these were signed for me through the mail in 2010.

Somehow, I managed to post twenty different cards this month. I'm not sure how I did it and I doubt I will be able to do it next month. But, it would be great if I can come close, and maybe even do a little better, in January.

No comments: