Tuesday, June 1, 2010

1985 Topps, Frank Tanana



#55 Frank Tanana

Just like the card I posted earlier today, and like the first one I am posting tomorrow, this is an extra card that I threw in when I sent off an '81 Donruss. I knew that it wasn't the best card to get signed since it is so dark, but I couldn't resist it.

When I was sending out these cards, I had eight cards from the set that were signed. That is one short of a complete page. So, I sent three cards from the set along with the '81 Donruss cards and the race was on to see which one was going to make it home in time to be the ninth card on the page. Today's cards didn't win. Frank came in second and Bob came in third. It was a good race, though.

Frank pitched for the Rangers for three and a half seasons. His numbers in Arlington weren't great and he lost 18 games one year and went 15-15 another. But, 13 starts into the 1985 season, with a 2-7 record and a 5.91 ERA, Frank was dealt to the Tigers for a minor leaguer named Duane James. I think that the trade might have worked out better for the Tigers.

It's a Smokies/Barons game tonight followed by a rematch tommorrow at historic Rickwood Field.

1 comment:

Play at the Plate said...

It actually shows up nice on the white pants. Nice sig too.