Sunday, June 20, 2010

1989 Topps, Jack Clark



#410 Jack Clark

Well, I ended up getting back from Omaha a little earlier than I planned. The original plan for today was to go to the 1:00 game and then come home after that. But it was raining when I got up and it was still raining when I got to the park at 9:30. So my dad and I walked around a bit and got some souvinirs. We went to the card shop across the street from the ballpark, which had Bowman packs for $6.50, and the owner greeted me with a beer. He had the weather channel on in there and it wasn't looking too good for getting the game started on time. So, we decided that we would head home. It's almost 4:30 now as I type this and the game has yet to start. So, I think that we made the right move. But overall, it was still a good time.

Here is the third and final Jack Clark card that I got signed at the '85 Classic last month. You can see the first one here and the second one here.

When I saw that Jack was going to be at the game, the first thing I did was look for Jack's '81 Donruss card. I had one with a bad gum stain on the front, so I didn't take that one. The next thing I did was I looked for this card. Why this card? Well, this is the first card that I really noticed as a youngster that was airbrushed. How I never noticed the '88 Topps Tito Landrum card, I do not know. But I sure was able to notice Jack's airbrushed hands and wrists. To this day, I still wonder why Topps thought that they needed to do that.

It almost looks like Jack has some G.I. Joe hands that swivel at the wrist.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never noticed that bit of weirdness before. I'm sure there's a story behind it, but I can't imagine why it was done.

Anonymous said...

Looking at the card, the only explanation I can come up with was that it was done to remove some obvious company logos. Maybe his wristband / batting glove combo had a large MIZUNO or something on them that Topps couldn't show for legal reasons.

Anonymous said...

I just showed someone this anomaly who is a proprietor of a card shop..They were selling it as an error..But not for that reason!..Needless to say..
Their mind was blown ! I assumed everyone knew about it.. it's not even listed on eBay as such..