Sunday, June 27, 2010

1990 Winter Haven Red Sox Star, Al Sanders



#24 Al Sanders

Here is a card that was given to me by Rod, of Padrographs. This is only the second time on here that I have featured a card that was given to me by Rod of a player that never played for the Padres. I know, it is pretty crazy. But, you had better get used to it because there are a few more on the way.

When I first saw this card, I thought that it was out of the 1989 set. I had no idea that Star turned this border out two years in a row without changing it. I don't think that Star produced a pack based set in 1990, only team sets.

As for Al, he never made it to the Major Leagues. His professional career lasted five seasons in the Red Sox organization as he advanced up to AA. In 1991 with the New Britain Red Sox, Al had the misfortune of finishing the season 4-15. While he led the team in losses, he was one of three pitchers that had double-digits in that category on a team that finished 47-93. His 4 wins were good enough to tie him for third on the team lead. He went on to pitch one more season at AA before calling it quits.

I know it is hard to see, but this card is autographed. It was signed in ballpoint and it looks like it might have faded a bit over time.

The Winter Haven Red Sox are no longer around. Their last season was 1992. They operated in the Florida State League and moved to Ft. Lauderdale for one season before moving on to Sarasota. After 2005, it looks like the Red Sox moved their high-A team to Lancaster, California. Currently, their high-A team is in Salem, Virginia.

No comments: