Tuesday, March 16, 2010

1996 Leaf Signature Extended Autographs, Mark Sweeney



#196 Mark Sweeney

Here is my last Leaf Signature Series card for the time being. I was able to pick this one up for a mere seventy-five cents. I was more than willing to fork over three quarters for an autograph of the second best pinch hitter ever.

Mark made the rounds in the National League. He made his debut in 1995 with the Cardinals. In his 14 year career, he also played for the Padres, Reds, Brewers, Rockies, Giants, Dodgers, and two other stints in San Deigo. He was a .254 career hitter and he finished his career with 175 pinch hits, second only to Lenny Harris who had 212.

In 2002, he was even involved in a trade for Lenny Harris. That is like Babe Ruth being traded for Barry Bonds. OK, it's not quite the same, but it's still neat and it's something that doesn't happen very often.

I believe that Mark retired during Spring Training last year and is now a coach in some capacity for the Dodgers.

2 comments:

night owl said...

I've interviewed Mark Sweeney. He was great.

I really like the Leaf Signature Series a lot.

unclemoe said...

Don't see many Mark Sweeney cards.

moe.