Saturday, June 12, 2010

1989 Donruss, John Tudor



#195 John Tudor

Here is the third and final John Tudor card that I got signed at the '85 Classic. You can see the first one here and the second one here.

John was the losing pitcher in the seventh game of the 1985 World Series. After the game, he ending up cutting his hand after punching an electric fan. Because of that, I always assumed that he wasn't the nicest person. I ended up associating him with the bad sinsay (I have no idea how to spell that) in the Karate Kid that punched out Miyagi's windows in what I believe is the opening scene in Karate Kid 2.

But after watching him play in the '85 Classic, I think of him in much higher terms. John signed a bunch of autographs prior to the game and out of all the ballplayers there, it looked like he was enjoying himself the most. He was jokingly getting on the umpires and jawing with the crowd from his spot in left field. After a close play at first that went against the Cardinals, he looked up into the stands and shouted "here we go again". It was fun to see.

No comments: