Monday, June 14, 2010

1989 Star, Steve Foster



#194 Steve Foster

Here is a card that I got signed at a Royals game in April. Steve is the Royals new bullpen coach and I was able to get three cards signed by him in the bullpen prior to that game. It rained most of the day that day, so niether team took batting practice. Beacuse of that, Steve was the only person that I got an autograph from that day. It wasn't quite what I was looking for, but at least I didn't go home empty-handed.

On the day of that game, it was kind of cool after all the rain had passed. When I went over to the bullpen, I found Steve playing with some wierd-looking little green things. I called over to him and he came over to me still playing with the green thing. Have you ever seen "Cops" when they are trying to do their little test they do to confirm that a powder is a controlled substance? That is what it looked like he was doing. He crushed something and then started to flick it like the cops do. Before I could even ask him what it was, he told me to check it out and then threw it up to me. What he had was some fancy hand warmer called a Chilly Billy. I ended up checking out their website and the main thing they sell is a shoulder and arm ice pack for pitchers. The funny thing about it was that Steve was one of the guys endorsing the ice pack on the main page. So I'm guessing that he might be getting the hand warmers at a reduced price. Either way, it was still something neat that I have never seen before.

Steve is representing the Cedar Rapids Reds in this card. The Reds are no longer playing in the Midwest League, but there is a new team called the Kernals that are affiliated with the Angels.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting story.

I remember collecting those 1989 Star minor league cards. I have the feeling that not too many of the guys in the set really went on to become stars, but it's been a long time since I looked at those cards.