Friday, June 25, 2010

1989-90 Pacific Senior League, Joe Sambito



#18 Joe Sambito

Here is the second card that I had sent to Joe in the middle of May. The first one was his '81 Donruss card and you can see that one again here.

I can't think of anything to say about Joe that I didn't say in his first post, so I'm going to talk about a couple of other things. The first thing I want to bring up is the the St. Pete Pelicans uniform. Call me crazy, but I swear that the Tampa Bay Rays have worn that uniform before as a turn back the clock uniform. For a team as new as the Rays, they sure seem to have a lot of turn back the clock nights. Since they usually turn the clock back to before their existence, they wear some odd-ball uniforms from former minor league teams in the area and I'm pretty sure that they wore this one once. Are there any Rays fans out there that can confirm that? What they need to do is have a turn back the clock night to 1998 and put on the original D-Rays unis.

The second thing I wanted to bring up is Joe's signature. His "J" almost looks like a "T" and his "S" looks more like a horseshoe than anything else. His "S" is more developed on the Donruss card and looks more like an actual "S", but that is not the case on this card.

1 comment:

Orioles Magic said...

I can't say if the Rays have ever worn that uniform, but I can confirm that the Pelicans is a very appropriate nickname for a team in St. Pete. Those things are everywhere.