Saturday, September 25, 2010

1981 Donruss, Ken Oberkfell



#583 Ken Oberkfell

Here is the card that I got signed through the mail from Ken Oberkfell. Ken managed the Buffalo Bisons this season and I sent the card to the team on 4/26 and I got it back on 7/13. I had sent the same card to him about a week before the season ended last year and never saw the card again. So, it was a good thing that I had a few of these.

Ken played in the Majors for parts of 16 seasons. He spent the majority of the time with the Cardinals and Braves, but he bounced around a bit towards the end of his career. During that time, he also played with the Pirates, Giants, Astros, and Angels.

I remember Ken from his days with the Braves, but I remember him by name only. He has some interesting stats, though. He wasn't a power hitter by any means and he didn't drive in runs. What Ken did excel at was getting on base. He is a .278 career hitter who has an on-base percentage of .351. He only struck out 356 times in 4874 at-bats while walking 546 times. You just don't see enough players today that can do that.

'81 Donruss Tracker: 79/100

No comments: