Monday, May 25, 2009

1978 Topps, Steve Foucault



#68 Steve Foucault

This was one of the cards that Paul, from Paul's Random Stuff, sent me a few months ago. When I got the card, I had never heard of Steve Foucault. While I do not really know anything about him, I have seen a card or two of him in the box of older cards at the card shop since then.

Steve had a relatively short career which lasted six seasons in the Majors. In that time frame, he pitched mostly with the Rangers, a little with the Tigers, and three games with the Royals (it's always good to have a Royals connection). He was strictly a relief pitcher and his numbers weren't too bad. He finished his career with a 3.21 ERA. 1974 was his best season and he posted a 2.24 ERA over 144.1 innings with 106 strikeouts and only 40 walks. The next season, he only had 56 Ks in 107 innings. He also had 55 walks, which probably helped to push his ERA up to 4.12, the highest of his career. He pitched one more season in Arlington before being dealt to the Tigers for Willie Horton.

I originally had no idea where Paul got this card signed. After doing a little research, it appears that Steve might have been a pitching coach for the Newark Bears a couple of years ago.

I have never noticed the Tigers stirrups like that before. They look like they were socks taken from the Chicago Bears and then cut into stirrups.

One final thing here- Does anyone have a 2009 Topps series 1 card of Tug Hullet (Mariners)? I need one for when I head to KC on Sunday. If you have one, please send it here and I will send something in return.

This is the last card from the '70s for now. Tomorrow, it is straight to '81 Donruss. That will probably take up most of the week.

No comments: