Tuesday, May 19, 2009

1975 Topps, Enos Cabell



#247 Enos Cabell

To be honest, I know very little about Enos Cabell. I had a card of him that I got last year in a box and I eventually found another card of him from later in his career as well. He was one of the alumni that signed at Astros Fanfest. Prior to heading down to Houston, I went by the local card shop to try to find some Dierker cards (which I had none of) and I stumbled across this card. Actually, I stumbled across two of these and was able to get them both signed. The other one, I sent to The Great Orioles Autograph Project to help him out and to thank him for a card he had sent me.

According to Wikipedia, Enos is the cousin of Ken Landreaux and he was one of the players suspended after the Pittsburgh drug trials. He never missed a game, but had to give money and time to community service.

I'll have two more '75 Topps coming up tomorrow. Unfortunately, these '75s are going by way too quickly.

4 comments:

night owl said...

Bill James went on a rant about the ineptness of Enos Cabell back when he used to publish his yearly baseball yearbooks, or whatever they were called.

I would buy one every year, but I don't have them anymore. Anyway, James was always good for poking holes in the mainstream thought that certain players were good, when, in fact, if you analyzed their stats, they weren't that good at all.

zman40 said...

I think that was his way of saying "you suck, and I'll be in the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame long before you ever will".

But, what do I know?

Tom said...

Congrats on the Enos sig. I thought I had one but checked and did not. Guess I'll have to send one off to Mr. Cabell ASAP!

A bit of advise to Enos:

"If your thing is gone and you wanna ride on.
Cocaine.
Don't forget this fact, you can't get it back.
Cocaine."
- J.J. Cale

Orioles Magic said...

Thanks again buddy!
It was a great addition to my collection.