Sunday, June 22, 2014

1991 Fleer, Franklin Stubbs


#518 Franklin Stubbs

Here is a card that was signed by Franklin Stubbs during my Spring Training trip. Franklin is the hitting coach for the Dodgers AAA team in Albuquerque and I was able to get him to sign my three cards after the Dodger minor leaguers worked out the day I was there.

On that particular day, the Major League Dodgers were in Australia. So, I figured it would be a good time to hit up their practice fields. With no parent club around, I thought there would be less 'graphers around and it would be easier to get some cards signed by the Dodger minor leaguers and their coaches. I was right in one regard and that was that there was less people around. That also made it harder because there was less help to identify the players as none of them had names on their jerseys. But, I got a few cards signed by the players and did well with the coaches. I even got Tommy Lasorda to sign a ball. I figured he would have been on the trip to Australia, but that was not the case.

As for Franklin Stubbs, he played in the Majors for parts of ten seasons with the Dodgers, Astros, Brewers, and Tigers. He only played one season in Houston, but it was his best season. He hit .261 that year with 23 home runs and 71 RBI. Both the home run and RBI totals were career highs.

As for the College World Series contest, the tournament is down to two teams- Virginia and Vanderbilt. Fittingly, the contest is down to two contestants. Wilson and Need More Cardboard picked both teams in the final. They filled out some nice brackets and got all of the games right except for four each. They are both tied right now, but that will change in the next two to three days. Wilson had picked Virginia to win it all and NMC picked Vanderbilt. The championship team will determine the contest winner.

No comments: