Sunday, February 23, 2014

1989 Topps, Rex Hudler


#346 Rex Hudler

Here is a new autograph for this blog. This one is of Rex Hudler, who replaced Frank White as the color commentator on the Royals TV broadcasts. I got this card and two others signed by Rex at the last Royals home game in 2012.

Rex has had the Royals TV job since 2012. He had some big shoes to fill following up the fan favorite, Frank White. And so far, all he has done is disappoint. Luckily, I don't have cable and am unable to watch the broadcasts because he makes them hard to sit through. I have only caught his act a couple of times at my dad's and it was rough. He just seems to talk to the fans like they have never seen a game of baseball before. It is nice to have a former player in that role, in my opinion, because they can give you insight from a player's perspective. But, in the few games I have seen, Rex did not do that. He just kept explaining the obvious and doing so far longer than necessary. Maybe I just need more time to warm up to him, but I have not had that opportunity.

Aside from that, Rex seems like a really nice guy. He always has a smile on his face and I have never seen him turn down an autograph. You can tell that he really wants to be at the ballpark every day.

1 comment:

Play at the Plate said...

That is one LOOPY auto. Right into his nostril. You know, I don't think I've ever typed the word nostril before. Weird. Ha. Still, nice get Z!