Sunday, February 2, 2014

1988 Donruss, Juan Nieves


Here is the second of three cards that Juan Nieves signed for me at a Royals game in 2012. Juan was the White Sox bullpen coach at the time.

Juan's claim to fame is pitching a no hitter in 1987. It was just his second start in his second season in the Majors. He blanked the Orioles with no runs or hits while walking five and striking out seven. He was a little erratic that day, but he certainly got the job done. The last out of the game was made by Hall of Famer Eddie Murray, who flew out to center. Juan was the second youngest pitcher to throw a no-no and the first Brewer and first Puerto Rican to accomplish the feat.

Yesterday was Royals Fanfest and it turned out much better than I thought it would. After a slow start, I came home with almost fifty signed cards. After last years, I figured that I would be doing good if I got about twenty-five cards signed. Halfway through the event, it looked like that was where I was heading. But things picked up in the second half and, by the final signing, I was able to hit up four of the six booths that were set up. Many people had obviously left by then because earlier in the day, it was impossible to go to more than one booth in one signing. I missed out on Salvador Perez again, but I did get my first 'graphs from Jeremy Guthrie, Tim Collins, Brett Hayes, Les Norman, and Jamie Bluma. And, I got two cards from the 2014 Topps set signed.

All in all, it was a good day. I got a lot of autographs and the kid had a blast. The fiance wasn't feeling too well, but she fought on like a champ. I can't wait for next year.

No comments: