Friday, October 16, 2009

1995 Bowman's Best, Dennis Eckersley



#58 Dennis Eckersley

Here is another great through the mail success that I got in the mid-90s. I'm not too sure about my card selection on this one, but an autograph from a Hall of Famer is an autograph from a Hall of Famer. Usually, my scanner can make a bad card look better, but that is not the case with this one. It looks much better in person. I guess my scanner couldn't handle all of the foil.

I don't think that there is much I can tell you about Dennis that isn't already known. He, of course, was the first player to ever have a 20 win season and a 50 save season during his career. The difference between Dennis and John Smoltz (the other guy to have accomplished that feat) is that there was a 14-year span between the two seasons. There was only a 7-year gap for Smoltz, who ended up moving back into the rotation.

Eck finished his career a six time All Star with 390 saves. In 1992, the year he recorded 51 saves, he was awarded the American League Cy Young award and the MVP award. So far, he is the last pitcher to be named MVP.

5 comments:

James said...

Eck was fun to watch. He had a few season with such an amazing k/BB ratio.

Orioles Magic said...

I chose a lot of questionable cards for autographs in the mid-90s too. I think all the shiny/foily cards got to me.

Anonymous said...

You posted a potential Hall of Famer yesterday and an actual Hall of Famer today. I can't wait to see who you will come up with for tomorrow. :)

Seriously, though, that's a nice autograph to have even if it's not on the nicest possible card.

I wasn't collecting autographs in the mid- to late- 90s. On the plus side, I missed out on sending a lot of shiny/foily cards. On the minus side, I missed out on a lot of guys who stopped signing (like Eckersley.)

Tom said...

OK...that's it. I'm boycotting this blog. No more reading, no more posting comments.

How can I find any enjoyment when I am reminded that I do not have a signed card by my favorite player?

Ha! Just messin' with you! That is one awesome card.

But I'm still JEALOUS.

zman40 said...

Tom- you had me going there for a second.

Paul- You might just want to skip tomorrow. I don't want to let you down.