Monday, October 12, 2009

1993 Ted Williams, Maury Wills



#17 Maury Wills

Here is the third and final Maury Wills card that I got signed at a Ft. Worth Cats game in August. You can see the first one here and the second one here. I got all three cards signed by Maury after he made his way up to the concourse after catching the ceremonial first pitch from some former Indy car driver. Of the three cards, this one probably looks the best. It seems like these cards were made for autographs.

During the game, they had a table set up where Maury was signing. Even though I had my cards signed, I decided to go through the line so that I could get team-issued photocard signed. It is not the best looking card that I had ever seen (the main picture is modern day Maury in a suit, with two smaller pictures as a Cat and Dodger), but I figured that I would get it signed. When I got to the front of the line to get the card signed, Maury looked up at me and then looked at the usher and said like "I don't what it is about baseball, but it has a way of making grown men smile like little boys". I can't remember if he said smile or gleam or what, but it was something like that. I thought it was pretty funny.

No comments: