Saturday, March 28, 2009

1993 Bowman, Kerry Taylor



#63 Kerry Taylor

This card was given to me by Rod, of Padrographs. Before Rod gave me a bunch of autographed Padre cards, I had one card from this set signed. Now, I have four. One of the reasons I didn't have more of these signed is because I don't own too many of them. When the Bowman cards started to be more of a premium brand, I stuck more to the fifty cent packs. You could get at least twice as many cards that way.

As for Kerry Taylor, he had a brief Major League career. He was a Rule V pick by the Padres after playing A ball the year before. Somehow, the Padres kept him on their roster the whole season and he ended up with a 6.45 ERA with 49 walks and 45 strikeouts. The next season, he went to AAA. At some point during the year, he got called up to make a start for the Pads. He pitched 4.1 innings, giving up 4 runs on 9 hits. That was his last outing in the Majors. He played four more seasons in AAA before calling it quits after his 2000 season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I felt the same way about "premium" cards in the early 1990s, so I doubt I own more than a dozen cards from the 1993 set. I could be wrong, but I don't think I have any signed ones.