Wednesday, October 28, 2009

1995 Signature Rookies, Jason Hutchins



#14 Jason Hutchins

This card was given to me by Paul, of Paul's Random Stuff. I must have got my fill of Signature Rookies in 1994 because I did not own a single card from this set until I got this card. One of the first things I notice about it is that it has a "torn" edge on it with the player's name, just like the draft pick cards in yesterdays Pinnacle set did. At least I think that that is supposed to be a torn edge. I guess that it could be mountains since Jason was in the Rockies system.

As for Jason's career, it was a short one. He only lasted three years in pro ball. His third season was in AA and he posted a 3.86 ERA in 14 innings of work, striking out 14 and walking 14. I have no idea if he was just released or if an injury ended his career.

As for the "CV" on his hat, that must have been from his days with the Central Valley Rockies of the California League. The team was located in Visalia and for two years, decided against the Oaks moniker.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many of the Signature Rookies guys were done in by hand cramps. ;-)

I don't remember buying any Signature Rookies cards in 1995 either, but I have a ton of the signed ones. I think somewhere along the way, I must have picked up a cheap lot of the "hits."

zman40 said...

No kidding on the hand cramps. I hope those guys were compensated accordingly.

Do you have any decent hits from the '95s?

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure there were any big hits from that particular set. Tony Graffanino might be the most recognizable name.

But I do have a couple of guys who later became Atlantic League stars, so that's kinda cool.

zman40 said...

I do like Tony Graff. That kinda sucks that he might be the number one guy from the set though.