Monday, November 8, 2010

2004 Donruss, Runelvys Hernandez



#135 Runelvys Hernandez

Here is the second of three cards that Runelvys signed for me in Round Rock, Texas in 2008. You can see the first one here and read about all the trouble I had to go through to get the cards signed.

Runelvys was a mixed bag while he was in Kansas City. When he was on, he was very good. But the main problem he had was conditioning. He always came to Spring Training out of shape and, one season, the Royals actually started him on the disabled list for "fatigue". But it was really for being overweight. He was even referred to as "Dos Chins" by some of the Royals faithful on the Royals message boards. Eventually, though, he wore out his welcome and the Royals granted him his free agency after the 2006 season. He made four more starts with Houston in 2008 and it appears that his career is now done.

I mentioned in the first Runelvys post that that card had the better looking signature of the three cards he signed for me. Just compare this one to that one to see what I mean.

This is the only Press Proof card that I have signed and I'm not even sure what the Press Proof cards are for or how they were disrtibuted.

2 comments:

Goose Joak said...

It looks like he signed this card with a laggy 26 K modem compared to the other one. Or maybe he signed it with a grocery store stylus.

He looks a LOT lighter in these two cards than I remember. I'm really glad you dug these up.

zman40 said...

Nice comparison!