Friday, November 5, 2010

2004 Bowman Heritage, Alberto Callaspo



#367 Alberto Callaspo

Here is one of three cards that I got Alberto to sign for me while he was a Royal. I got them signed in April of 2009 when I was hanging out by the Royals parking lot before a game. It was a weekday game and it was still chilly out, so I was the only person out 'graphing the Royals lot. That may have worked in my favor because I had heard that Alberto wasn't much of a signer because he didn't speak much English. With it being just me instead of a group of people, Alberto may have let his guard down on that occasion. Or maybe the rumors were just rumors and Alberto is a great signer. But, since he is no longer a Royal, I may never find out.

Alberto had an up and down time as a Royal. He was acquired in a trade with the D-Backs prior to the 2008 season. He didn't play much that year and, in fact, he was even put on the disabled list for a while after getting a DUI. But that all changed in 2009 when Alberto had his break-out year.

Prior to 2009, Alberto had no home runs and 29 RBI in 399 Major League at-bats. That all changed last season when Alberto hit his first career home run, and then ten more, while driving in 73. Everyone knew that Alberto could hit, but no one knew that he had some pop in his bat as well. He ended the season hitting .300 with 41 doubles, 8 triples, 79 runs, 52 walks, 51 strikeouts, and a .813 OPS.

Now, if only he had a position to play. But, I will get into that more when I post the next Callaspo card in December.

No comments: