Thursday, May 28, 2009

1981 Donruss, Cecil Cooper



#83 Cecil Cooper

Here is another recent through the mail success that I have had. I got this card back from Cecil in mid March. It took just under a month for me to get it back. This card has Cecil's standard inscription. He sure makes an interesting Z.

Cecil was finishing up his career when I started getting into baseball. I had a few cards of him, but I never realized how good of a hitter he was. Here is a guy that could hit for power, hit for average, drive in runs, and play exceptional defense. He was a five time All-Star and won two gold gloves. I guess I overlooked him at the end of career because his last cards didn't have much value. Book value in 1987 told me who the stars were. Wow, what a weird time I grew up in.

I went to the Wingnuts game last night and got all seven cards that I took with me signed. I had a very interesting conversation with St. Paul's Mitch Wylie about how things are done at the ballpark in Wichita and why we both do not care for it. But, I'll save that for when I post one of his cards.

3 comments:

AlbuqwirkE said...

Why in the world have I not already written to Cecil?

I'm feeling inspired!

zman40 said...

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't. I read that he will only sign one and that he always includes the inscription. Other than that, it seems pretty fail-safe.

unclemoe said...

Cecil is pretty great. Nice card.