Friday, May 15, 2009

1968 Topps, Jim Fregosi



#367 Jim Fregosi

Here is the second card from '68 Topps that I promised, and what a fine looking card it is. It comes from the All-Star subset and the back of the card has no stats or words. It is just a small part of a bigger picture, sort of like a square puzzle piece. I was going to scan the back and put it on here, but I'm not even sure which way to orient the card.

I got this card signed through the mail about ten days ago. It took about a month to make its way back to me.

Jim Fregosi is a little before my time and when I think of him, I think of the White Sox and Phillies manager from the late '80s and early '90s. It was hard for me to believe that the guy pictured on this card was that same person. Also, I had no idea that he had such a long and successful Major League playing career. He lasted 18 seasons while playing for the Angels, Mets, Rangers, and Pirates. While with the Angels, he was an All-Star six times in a seven year stretch.

I broke down and scanned the back. I guess I can't talk it up and then just leave it at that. So here it is. It may be upside down for all I know. Does anyone have any more of these cards and know what the backs are supposed to make up?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Fergosi card looks great signed.
I don't remember him as a player either, just as a manager and a part of one of the worst trades in Mets history.

He was nice enough to sign his Mets card for me last year, even though he can't have many good memories of his time in New York.

night owl said...

Is that a Carl Yastrzemski puzzle? It'd make sense since he won the Triple Crown in 1967.

zman40 said...

Paul- I didn't realize he was in the Ryan trade. That sucks.

NO- You might be on to something.

unclemoe said...

nice card. kinda shocked he signed in sharpie. he usually does his mail with a ballpoint ben.

zman40 said...

I had read that, too. As a result, I didn't send him an '81 Donruss card since it was so dark and he was wearing a dark satin jacket.

unclemoe said...

Yah I've gotten him two or three times and they all look horrible.