Sunday, November 23, 2008

1990 Donruss



#251 Roger McDowell

I got this one through the mail in the early '90s when Roger was with the Dodgers. I usually didn't send cards to relief pitchers unless they were lights-out closers. Then I read an article in Beckett that said that Roger signs through the mail, but there was a catch. Roger didn't want people getting his autograph and then selling it, so he bent a corner on the card so it would be less likely to sell. Sure enough, he bent the upper left corner of my card. I thought that it was kind of cool though. It's an extension of his signature. At the time, I didn't realize he was such a goofball (I found that out during Rock N' Jock softball games). So, this is a neat autograph to have.

If you want to read an interesting Roger McDowell interaction, you have to check out the one that JRJ had with him at a signing recently, curtesy of Sports Locker.

1 comment:

James said...

Thanks for the shout out.
Roger's a different bird - that's for sure.