Wednesday, July 9, 2014

1991 Line Drive, Leo Garcia


#256 Leo Garcia

Here is the second card that I got Leo Garcia to sign at Spring Training this year. Leo is the batting coach for the Dodgers Pioneer League team, the Ogden Raptors. He signed two cards for me and the first one can be seen here.

Since I could only find two minor league cards of Leo, I assumed that he never played in the Majors. WRONG! It turns out that Leo had two stints with the Reds in the late '80s. He got into 31 games in 1987 and went 6-30 with 8 runs, 2 RBI, and a home run. He got into 23 games the following year and was 4-28 with 2 runs and a double. For his career, Leo hit .172.

Speaking of being wrong, something funny happened to me the other day at a Wingnuts game. Earlier this year, the Sioux Falls Canaries had signed Chris Duffy and I had been planning on going to a game in Wichita to get some cards signed. And by Chris Duffy, I assumed that it was this Chris Duffy, the former Pirate.


Turns out that it was this Chris Duffy. See any differences?


Luckily, it was obvious that it was the wrong Chris Duffy and I did not make an ass out of myself.

2 comments:

Orioles Magic said...

Close call! At least you noticed before handing him the wrong card. I've done that a few times with minor leaguers! Nice work paying attention to the clues.

zman40 said...

Thanks, Ryan. I once asked a guy to sign a card and found out that it was his dad on the card.