Tuesday, July 29, 2014

1992 Classic Draft Picks, Levon Largusa


#70 Levon Largusa

Last spring, Ryan from The Great Orioles Autograph Project sent me a little card package with a few Royals and many autographs. A few of the autos were for my '81 Donruss set while the rest were just random autographs that he had laying around. Ryan knows how I am and realizes that I will take whatever I can get. That is where this awesome card of Levon Largusa from the 1992 Classic Draft Picks set comes from.

Levon was taken by the Blue Jays in the third round out of the University of Hawaii. He pitched in the Jays minor league system for four seasons, reaching high-A ball. He put up some decent numbers over his first two seasons, but he only appeared in 38 games in the four years. He was let go by the Jays and he pitched a season of independent ball in the Texas-Louisiana League. He did well enough there to earn another shot in affiliated ball and the Cubs sent him to their high-A team. He got into 14 games with Daytona, but must have been used as a LOOGY as he only pitched 8.2 innings. He gave up 16 hits and 11 runs, 8 earned, while walking 8 and striking out 5. The Cubs let him go and that was the end to Levon's career.

I am not sure where Ryan picked up this autograph. If I had to guess, I would bet that he got it while Levon was with the Hagerstown Suns.

I love the Converse cleats Levon is wearing in this pick. Wichita State was wearing Converse cleats around that time. Because of that, I was more than willing to get some Cons for my first set of metal spikes. Man, how the times have changed!

1 comment:

Dan said...

I have that same card signed. I got to see him often when he was with the Dunedin Blue Jays of the Florida State League.

http://dailyautograph.blogspot.com/2014/06/levon-largusa.html