Friday, January 23, 2009

1992 Classic/Best, Lance Painter



#313 Lance Painter

I got this card signed a few days before the Tim Garland card I posted yesterday. I was on my west coast trip at the time and I got this card signed at a Rancho Cucamonga Quakes game. Lance was the pitching coach for the visiting High Desert Mavericks.

I just checked his stats page and the only thing that really stood out to me is that Lance was born in England. I did not know that. This is probably the only card that I have signed by an Englishman.

What I love about this card is that the picture is taken at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium. That is the closest professional ballpark to me. According to a postcard that I received from the Wranglers in 2003, LD Stadium is the eighth oldest ballpark still being used in minor league baseball. It was built in 1934 and has hosted AA and AAA baseball (and probably lower levels) and even the 1949 College World Series. The most unique feature of LD Stadium is the turf infield/grass outfield. You can kind of see it in the card at the top, but here is a better view. Interestingly, Wrigley Wax did a little tidbit on the turf and grass years at old Comiskey Park just a couple of days ago.

After the 2007 season, the Wranglers moved to Springdale, Arkansas, where they became the Northwest Arkansas Naturals. In 2008, the Wichita Wingnuts of the American Association moved into LD Stadium and it is now the most annoying spot in America to watch a game. But, that is just my opinion. The 'Nuts drew better last year than the Wranglers did for years, so I must be in the minority.

1 comment:

Goose Joak said...

From a few angles it looks almost exactly like Rosenblatt Stadium in Omaha. Especially this shot:

http://www.digitalballparks.com/Texas/Wichita5.html

The multi-colored seats, the press box, the trees...

Nice card too. Once you pointed out why the "grass" was two different colors I really started to enjoy it!