Monday, January 12, 2009

1991 Upper Deck, Jim Presley



#791 Jim Presley

Here is a Padrograph from Rod. When I think of Jim Presley, I think of his 1987 Donruss Diamond King card. That card is the only reason why I know who he is. That was the first year that I collected Donruss and I was fascinated by the Diamond Kings. I even liked the Jose Canseco DK, even though I didn't think it really looked like him.

Presley had really good seasons in his first two full years in the Majors. In 1985, he had career highs in homers and average. In 1986, he knocked in over a hundred runs for the only time in his career. After that, it was all downhill and he would never hit higher than .247 in any other season and he finished his career as a .247 lifetime hitter. His final season came in 1991 when he played in 20 games with the Padres. Rod, I am curious how you obtained this card.

This is way off topic, but I was hoping that someone out there may be able to help me out. I was watching the '89 ALCS today on the MLB Network and I heard Bob Costas state something that I had never heard before. He said that the AL tallies attendence by the number of tickets sold and the NL goes by the numbers at the gate. Does anyone know if that is still true? I've been to many more AL games than NL. Last year I went to a Rangers game on a Thursday afternoon in September that was against the Mariners. The attendence was listed as nearly 12,000 and I was guessing that there may have been 5,000 people there. When I saw the actual figure, I just figured that I suck at guessing the attendence. Now I am not so sure.

This is the final card from 1991.

1 comment:

Rod (Padrographs) said...

Zach, I think that I got the card from ebay. After repeatedly mailing cards to him.