Wednesday, January 13, 2010

1999 Topps/Topps Chrome, Danny Klassen



#212 Danny Klassen

Here is a card that I got signed in Round Rock, Texas in 2008. I got these signed the same day as I got the two Steve Woodard cards signed. I know that it is pretty bad that I got two nearly identical cards signed twice in one day, but it was the only cards that I had of those guys.

I got this card signed before the game that day. At the Dell Diamond in Round Rock, they have a row of wooden rocking chairs that can be rented out during a game. The chairs are in left field and are right by the locker room. At this game, I happened to catch Danny at the end of the row in his game pants and a t-shirt talking to the trainer. I asked one of the locals who it was and when I realized I had cards of him, I went and got them signed.

Danny was really nice and asked how my day was going. When I told him that I had been driving all day, he asked where I was coming from and where I was heading and told me to have a good trip. It was cool to have more than the usual "how's it going" chit-chat.

I didn't realize this at the time, but Danny played in 85 Major League games over five seasons with the Diamondbacks and Tigers. Prior to today, I just thought that he was a career minor leaguer. His career number aren't too impressive, but at least he was given a shot. He even got to represent Canada in the 2004 Olympics.

These are the first Diamondback cards on here.

Here are the rockers Danny was sitting on. That is probably him at the opposite end of the row.



As for the Royals Caravan yesterday, it was a complete joke. There was no autograph session. It took me awhile, but I finally learned that it was just a private party with the boosters. Why the Royals would even put that on the schedule and make it sound like a normal Caravan stop is beyond me. But, being the hound that I am, I was able to get one card signed by George Brett and two by Joe Randa. I'll have more on my less-than-memorable George Brett experience in a few weeks when I post the card.

2 comments:

Play at the Plate said...

Sorry to hear about the "caravan".

Anonymous said...

Too bad about the "caravan," but at least you managed to get a couple of autographs.