Monday, January 16, 2012

2006 Topps, Clint Hurdle



#274 Clint Hurdle

Here is a card that I got signed by Clint Hurdle in 2008. He was managing the Rockies at the time and I got this card signed in Kansas City when the Rox came to town for interleague play. Clint signed three cards for me that day and this is actually the last card of the three that I have posted. I posted the first two about three and a half years ago during the infancy of this blog. Back then I was a blogger of few words, but at least I was able to get a new post in daily. I wish I could say that about this blog now. Anyway, if you want to check out the first two Hurdle cards I posted, the first one can be seen here and the second one here.

Clint got his first managerial job with the Rockies in 2002 when he replaced Buddy Bell early in the season. He managed the team into the 2009 season before he started the season 18-28 and was relieved of his duties. During that span, he lead the team to just one winning season. It just so happened, though, that that one winning season included winning the Wild Card in the 163rd game of the season and then advancing to the World Series. I actually had a ticket to game five of that Series, but it wasn't meant to be as the Red Sox swept the Rox in four.

Last season, Clint was hired on to manage the Pirates and he almost made a contender out of an over-achieving team. Some say the team's demise came on the blown call against the Braves, but I guess that is arguable. The team did slip a bunch after that game and the Bucs finished with a 72-90 season, fourth in the division.

1 comment:

Orioles Magic said...

Since the Pirates are my #2 team, I was really hoping that Clint could turn them around, but it's truly a huge challenge. Here's hoping they can turn the corner in 2012!