Monday, June 29, 2009

1991 Line Drive, Shane Reynolds



#572 Shane Reynolds

Here is another card that I got signed at the Astros Fanfest. Luckily, this is the first Shane Reynolds card that I have to show on here. Shane was in the first group of alumni that I was able to get signatures from that day. The others at his table were Larry Dierker and Scipio Spinks. Unfortunately, Scipio was a last minute addition and I did not have any cards of him with me. So, all I got signed was a Astros produced 4x6 of the inside of Minute Maid Park. Most of the other players had a 4x6 with their picture on it, but not Scipio.

Anyway, back to Shane Reynolds. Like all of the alumni, he signed all of my cards. I tried to find one of him with some team other than the Astros (or Astro minor leaguer) and came up empty handed. So, the other two cards feature him as an Astro. Before I went on my CWS trip I was looking through a binder that had mostly 2003 cards in it. Of course I found an '03 UD Vintage card of Shane as a Brave. I wish I would have looked through that a few months sooner.

This card depicts Shane as a Jackson General of the Texas League. The Generals played in the league for nine seasons. I am not sure where they moved to after that, but I suspect Round Rock. The Generals were named for former president Andrew Jackson. Jackson was in the military prior to his term in the White House and he fought in the War of 1812 and the First Seminole War. There is a little ballad about him called the "The Battle of New Orleans". That song is the battalion song of the 3rd Battalion of the 7th Infantry Regiment, the most decorated battalion in the United States Army. Luckily, I was one of the few tankers to have the honor of being a part of that regiment.

4 comments:

unclemoe said...

Can't go wrong with a "Pre-Rookie."

moe.

Orioles Magic said...

Zach,
Sometimes if I am looking for cards I might have in my collection of a certain player, I will search for his name on Beckett.com and then see if I have what is listed.

Tom said...

Nice card! The Jackson Generals became the Round Rock Express (2000-2004). Then they moved to Corpus Christi and became the Hooks (2005-present).

zman40 said...

OM- Trust me, I use Beckett.com almost religuosly. That is the first place that I go when I need to find cards to get graphed. In fact, I think I even went through my '03 UD Vintage cards that are boxed up. I just didn't think that the card would actually be in a binder.

Tom-thanks for the franchise update. I can usually find that stuff on Wikipedia, but I had no such luck with the Generals.