Monday, June 8, 2009

1986 Mother's Cookies Astros, Jimmy Wynn



#7 Jimmy Wynn

This is a sweet looking card. I bought this card at the card show held during Astros Fanfest for fifty cents. When I got to Houston, all I had was my one Jimmy Wynn card. So, my main goal for the show was to pick up at least one more card of him. This is the only card that I could find, but I am very happy with it.

While I have heard of Mother's Cookies cards before, this is the first time that I had actually seen one in person. I doubt that they all look this good. They are kind of goofy because they have rounded corners like a playing card and they are real thin. Other than that, they look like they would have been a great promotional item for an Astros game in 1986. This is just a good-looking card.

If you look closely at Jimmy's signature, you will notice something that is unusual. He crosses his n's.

6 comments:

Tom said...

Is this a Mother's Cookies card? Whatever it may be that's a sweet looking card. I used to eat a lot of cookies back in my college days just to get those cards.

Rod (Padrographs) said...

The Astros were the only ones that I ever saw that were paintings.

zman40 said...

I thought that didn't sound right. Thanks for pointing that out.

So these cards came with cookies?

Tom said...

Yes; there was usually one card per bag of cookies. I used to buy the iced oatmeal raisin cookies and almost make myself sick after eating too many. They were kinda dry but were great soaked in milk.

I've seen these cookies on the store shelves over the last few years and have not seen any more cards offered. Also, I just read where they declared bankruptcy last year but have been relaunched by Kelloggs. Maybe they will start including cards again.

AlbuqwirkE said...

FANTASTIC!

Goose Joak said...

I'm on board too. This is a beautiful card, as is the Larry Dierker.