Saturday, December 14, 2013

1985 Topps, Steve McCatty


#63 Steve McCatty

This is one of the reasons why I need to get a complete set of 1981 Donruss. Steve is in that set and I do not have his card. Because of that, I was not able to get the card signed when I came across him this past season. At one point, I was actually working on which cards I needed for the complete set. But I got sidetracked and never got one posted to this blog. One of these days...

Steve was the pitching coach for the Washington Nationals this past season and I was able to get three cards signed by him when the Nats came to Kansas City. Since I work in retail, I have to work most Saturdays. Because of that, Sundays are the days I get to go to Royals games. Batting practice is rarely taken on Sundays, so I mainly focus on pitchers because they usually take the field to get some form of workouts in. And I can go by the bullpen to get 'graphs from the bullpen and/or pitching coach. That is how I got this card signed.

This past season was not very good for me at the Major League level. While I never left the ballpark without at least one signature, I did not have as much luck with the pitchers as I have had in years past. It wasn't like I was getting turned down by everyone, though. It just seemed as if fewer pitchers were getting their work in after the gates had opened. I don't know if there were just doing it inside or if they got to the park earlier to beat the crowds. Either way, I hope it was just a one-year thing and not a continuing trend.

No comments: