Monday, December 6, 2010

2004 Topps, Zack Grienke/Jimmy Gobble



#330 Jimmy Gobble/Zack Grienke

This is the first card that I got two signatures on and it only took me about five years to get them both. The first signature I got was Jimmy Gobble's and I got it at a Royals Caravan appearance at the local Buick dealership in 2004. This was the only card that I had of Jimmy, so it was better than getting just a Royals issued postcard signed. The funny part is that, at the time, I didn't have a clue who the Grienke kid on the top part of the card was.

Fast forward to 2009 and everyone found out who Zack Grienke was. That is the year that I got Zack to sign the card, but I got the card signed before the season began at Royals Fanfest. I usually take my autograph book with me to Fanfest in an attempt to get more than one card signed (I know, I'm a bad person). When I got to Grienke, I made sure to point to this card so I could get it completed. He signed this one and one other card for me that day. I tried to get more than one from him this past Fanfest, but he only signed one card for me. I guess you never really know what you are going to get from Zack (unless he's on the mound).

This will probably be the last time that I post a Zack Grienke card while he is still a member of the Royals. That kid sounds really anxious to get the hell out of KC.

As for the "Future Star" billing on this card, Zack became a star. Jimmy Gobble? Not so much.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jimmy Gobble may not have become a star, but at least he's got a memorable name. :)

Nice card.

Collective Troll said...

Awesome!!!
I love getting 2 sigs on one card... I did that with a couple of manager cards from the 90s. I would always get the Pirates manager to sign a few in person and then send them off TTM and cross my fingers... Again, AWESOME!

zman40 said...

Thanks guys!

Orioles Magic said...

Paul hit the nail on the head. I will always remember Jimmy because of his name and Grienke due to his performance on the field.