Thursday, February 17, 2011

1996 Leaf Signature Series, Ken Hill



#103 Ken Hill

Here is the third card from this set that I have posted this week. This one features the former Cardinal, Expo, Indian, Ranger, Angel, White Sock, and Devil Ray, Ken Hill. The previous two cards that I posted from this set were bought for a certain reason. The only reason why I bought this card was because it was of a guy that I knew of and the fact that it only cost me one dollar.

Ken had a fourteen year career in the Major Leagues and he posted a 117-109 record and a 4.06 ERA over that time. His best season came during the strike-shortened 1994 season when Ken went 16-5 with a 3.32 ERA. That was one of three 16 win seasons that he had in his career and it was also the only year in which he made an All Star team.

Ken appears to be the only Major League player to have played college ball at North Adams State College (now Massachusetts College).

For three straight posts now, the Baseball Almanac page that I link to has had the same three cards that I have posted. I guess that whoever runs that site likes this set as much as I do. I wonder if it will continue tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had forgotten that Hill eventually made his way to the American League, and I didn't realize that he was still pitching as late as 2001.

The two Leaf Signature sets provide a great service to autograph collectors since they feature signed cards of nearly everyone who was playing baseball then. I can only imagine how cost-prohibitive it would be for Topps to attempt to do something like that now.

zman40 said...

I love these sets. It is amazing how cheaply yuo can get these cards now, especially considering how much the packs cost when they came out.