Friday, February 11, 2011

1995 Upper Deck Minors, Stoney Briggs



#146 Stoney Briggs

Here is a card that Rod sent me from the '95 Upper Deck Minors set. I liked this set a bunch when it came out, but for some reason or another, I didn't get too many packs of it. Because of that, this is my first signed card from the set.

Stoney was drafted by the Blue Jays in the eighth round of the 1991 draft. He played in the Jays system for two years before being moved to the Padres. He played in the Padres system for five years and he made it up to AAA in 1997. He hit .269 with 11 home runs in what would be his only real look at AAA.

After that season, Stoney started bouncing around a bit. He spent most of 1998 in the Mexican League and the Atlantic League, as well as two games in the Pacific Coast League. He played in South Korea in 1999 before heading back stateside the following year to play some AA ball for Detroit. He played for Baltimore's AA team in 2001 and then he seems to have sat out the 2002 season. He resurfaced in 2003 and he spent his last two seasons playing for the Camden Riversharks of the Atlantic League.

It is hard to tell which minor league team Stoney is representing on this card because of the All Star game t-shirt. But, it looks like the shirt says California League, so I am guessing that he was with the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes at the time. I wish it would say that on the front of the card.

I like how Stoney crosses his "t" before he even signs it.

3 comments:

Orioles Magic said...

Cool name and very cool how we crosses that T.

Sumosid said...

Wonder what happened to Stoney? I have his Camden Riversharks card I would love to get signed.

Anonymous said...

He coaching the Baltimore City Community College baseball team.