Saturday, February 5, 2011

1993 Flair, Mike Macfarlane



#220 Mike Macfarlane

Do you remember these cards? These babies made Upper Deck, Leaf, and Stadium Club look like child's play. I don't remember how much they cost, but I know that they were expensive enough that I could only afford four packs of them. They were so fancy that they didn't even come in wax, cello, or foil wrappers. They came in a little vacuum-sealed box. I was so impressed by the little boxes that, to this day, my common cards from the packs are still sitting in the boxes that they came in. That is how I remember that I only bought four packs of this set.

Eighteen years after the set debuted, I finally got one signed and it was signed at Royals Fanfest. This card wasn't even one of the cards I got in my four packs. This card is one of the many Royals cards that I have accumulated since joining the blogging community. I just wish I could remember who sent it to me.

I took four cards of Mike to get signed at Fanfest and this was the only one that I really wanted signed. He signed at the second alumni session and he was signing by himself. Since he was alone, coupled with the fact that I have at least four cards signed by him already, I went through the line by myself and I sent my dad to get in another line to hold my spot. I must say that I am very happy with the results.

I think it is kind of funny that the last three cards I have posted from Fanfest are all former Royals catchers and I have nearly 20 cards signed by the three. I can't wait until Mike Sweeney starts attending these things so that I can add him to the group.

4 comments:

Goose Joak said...

Such an amazing card and signature. I share your feelings on the set as well.

Goose Joak said...

I feel like this card should be a part of Night Owl's cardboard appreciation series.

Anonymous said...

1993 Flair has a nice, visually appealing design. But I never really liked the set - part of it had to do with the price point, but mostly it was because of the card stock - they just didn't feel like baseball cards anymore.

zman40 said...

I agree with you Dave.

And Paul, I certainly see what you are talking about. It is some thick card stock.