Friday, February 19, 2010

1999 SP, Dee Brown



#DB Dee Brown

This card was an unexpected surprise on the day of Fanfest. I didn't get this card signed at Fanfest. But, it was in my mailbox when I got home that night. Brian, from Play at the Plate, sent this card to me along with a couple of 2004 Topps Chrome cards. Thanks a bunch, Brian!

Dee was a 1996 first round draft pick of the Royals who turned down a football scholarship from Maryland to play baseball. After just a couple of seasons in the minors, he got his first cup of coffee in Kansas City. But, it took him about six years to make the Royals club and in 2001, he played in 106 games for the Royals and hit .245 with 7 home runs and 40 RBI. Unfortunately for him, that was his last full season in the big leagues and he has been bouncing around the AAA circuit ever since. He spent last season playing for the Dodgers' affiliate in Albuquerque.

I was so out of collecting in 1999 that I didn't even know that signed cards were in packs. If I would have known that then, I may have bought a few more. Also, as you can see on the card, Dee's given name is Dermal. He is the only person I have ever heard of with that name. I wonder is he tells people that his name is Greek and then forgets to mention that it is Greek for skin.

Thanks again, Brian!

No comments: