Wednesday, October 25, 2017

1989 Score, Bob McClure


#572 Bob McClure

Here is the second of three cards that Bob McClure signed for me at a San Francisco Giants game in 2015. Bob was the pitching coach for the visiting Phillies and he signed for me by their bullpen prior to the game. I posted the first card that he signed for me in August and that card can be seen here.

Bob pitched for the Mets during the second half of the 1988 season. After being released by the Expos in early July, the Mets picked him up eleven days later. With the Mets, he was 1-0 with a save and a 4.09 ERA in 14 contests. He walked 2 and struck out 7 in his 11 innings of work.

He was released after that season and would go on to sign with the Angels the following year.

With the Phillies currently looking for a new manager, Bob could possibly be looking for a new job next year if the new manager wants to go in a "different direction" with his pitching coach.

3 comments:

Dan said...

A couple of years ago I saw a guy get a Mike Schmidt jersey signed by Bob McClure. He thought Bob was Mike Schmidt.

zman40 said...

Oh wow. And Bob signed it?

Dan said...

Right on the number. I'm not sure Bob even knew exactly what he was signing. It wasn't until after he left that the guy realized that it wasn't Mike Schmidt who had signed his jersey. The following spring, I was back at the Phillies complex and I saw Bob and it instantly reminded me of that story. I shared it with my brother, not knowing that the guy next to me, who could hear my conversation, was the guy who had the jersey signed. He was able to laugh about his big mistake.