Wednesday, August 24, 2016

1963 Fleer, Ray Herbert


#9 Ray Herbert

Here is the second card of Ray Herbert that I got signed through the mail. I posted the first card almost three months ago and it can be seen here. I sent that one out in 2014. This one was sent out in 2012. The first card I posted was sent out because it was a Kansas City A's card. This one was sent out because it was a card from a set that I did not have a signed card from, the fabled 1963 Fleer set.

I really do not know much about this set. I have known about it my entire collecting life thanks to Becketts in the late '80s. Until I picked up this card, I had never owned a card from the set. But, thanks to some research, I have found a couple of things about the set. It is limited to 66 cards because Topps sued Fleer and prevented the rest of the series from coming out. Also, Fleer put cherry flavored cookies in with the cards to separate themselves from Topps.

As for Ray, he pitched for the White Sox for just three and a half seasons. But, his best season came with them and it was a good one. It was his 1962 campaign, which is why he is even in this small set. That season, he made his lone All Star team and finished the season 20-9 with a 3.27 ERA and 115 strikeouts. In the All Star game, Ray pitched three innings of relief to pick up the win.

For his career, Ray pitched fourteen seasons with the Tigers, A's, White Sox, and Phillies. He had a 104-107 record with 15 saves and a 4.01 ERA.

No comments: