Sunday, November 22, 2015

2007 Topps, Sam Perlozzo


#608 Sam Perlozzo

Here is the second of two cards that Sam Perlozzo signed for me outside of Kauffman Stadium in 2008. Sam was the third base coach for the Mariners at the time and he signed for me after arriving at the ballpark with three other members of the coaching staff. I posted the first card that he signed in 2012 and that one can be seen here.

Sam managed the O's for parts of three seasons. He got the job in 2005 after replacing Lee Mazzilli. Sam lead the club to a 23-32 record down the stretch and they finished 74-88. 2006 was his only full season as a Major League manager and the team went 70-92 that season, finishing fourth in the AL East. In 2007, the Orioles started out 29-40 before Sam got the ax. He was replaced by Dave Trembley who went 40-53 over the remainder of the season.

Sam was the Mariners third base coach for just the 2008 season. He moved on to the Phillies in 2009 and worked as a base coach for them before being dismissed after the 2012 season.

I think it is strange that the manager cards from 2007 Topps lack that facsimile signature that all of the rest of the cards from the set have. Topps did the same thing in 2008, as well. I have no idea why that it the case, but they sure do work better for autographs without it on there. Luckily, Topps has not done that since the 2008 set.

2 comments:

Dan said...

I just got Sam's autograph this summer. He's a roving Minor League pitching coach for the Twins and he just happened to be at a game that I was attending. I had a card of his on me, so I was very lucky.
I always hated getting cards signed that already had facsimile autographs on them. Unfortunately, sometimes they're the only option. I told one player who was signing such a card, "I guess you can just trace over it."

zman40 said...

I was wondering what he was up to now. I could not find anything current on him for the post.

Loved the "trace over it" comment!

Thanks, Dan!